Self-Assessment

In this paper, I am going to reflect on my writing, how my writing changed and evolved, and whether or not it improved over the semester. I am also going to determine which of the course objectives I satisfied, and which I failed to satisfy. I will also discuss what writing is to me, and how my perceptions of writing have changed over the course of the semester. When I first started this course, I wasn’t sure if I will do good in this class because I am not a good writer. However, by looking at my assignments, I can see how much I have improved. For example, when I first wrote my short assignment, memo, I had a lot of grammar error and weak sentence structure. Nevertheless, as time passed and I started following my class reading assignments, I got the feeling of how to write a decent paper. Following my class reading assignment also gave me an idea of what and how I should do my paper because it was related to my papers.

Furthermore, by looking at most of my essays, I can see that I have improved on sticking with my thesis while expanding my main points. Also doing the memo piece helped me by giving me an idea of what this course mostly will focus on. Which helped me to improve the third and final paper, lab analysis and research proposal. Although the research proposal, as the name suggests, required several hours of research. There were many assignments that required research in the course. Assignments such as the lab report and the technical description required the ability to gather information and incorporate the information into effective summarizing and paraphrasing. This is perhaps one of the most important skills in the professional world because the author needs to communicate ideas to the audience without plagiarizing from the original source or removing necessary information.

Writing for Engineers has also taught me how to gather reliable sources through library resources and online databases, another skill needed in the professional world. It is important to note that I still struggle with proper citation format, but I believe those skills will improve as I improve as a writer. Before taking this course I thought English courses only involves analysis of some random critically acclaimed novel. But by taking this course, I learn that there are many different types of writing, a majority of which are used in the professional world. This course has provided me with a set of skills that I will surely take with me into my workplace.